Aberdeenshire Council promotes a number of initiatives to encourage voting and participation in the democratic process. Amongst these is engagement with school pupils, and a host of information is available on the Aberdeenshire Schools Election 2016, Schools Election 2015, Schools Election 2014, Schools Election 2013, Schools Referendum, Schools Election 2011 and Schools Election 2010 webpages.
To view a filmed debate on democracy featuring pupils from Ellon Academy, click on the links below. Each section shows specific parts of the discussion, and will play in a separate browser window.
- What's the point in voting? (Opens in new window)
- Voting systems (Opens in new window)
- Who represents me? (Opens in new window)
- How do I cast my vote? (Opens in new window)
- How does politics affect me? (Opens in new window)
- Young people and voting (Opens in new window)
- It's the economy, stupid... (Opens in new window)
- Voter apathy (Opens in new window)
Voting in an Election is your chance to help decide who will make decisions on issues that affect you every day.
Who can vote?
In order to vote you must be
- on the Register of Electors,
- a British or Commonwealth citizen, or a European Union citizen who is resident in the UK,
- aged 18 or over (EPE and UKPE) or 16 & over (SPE, LGE), and
- not subject to any legal incapacity
How to Vote
If you are registered will receive a Poll Card shortly before polling day. This will contain your own unique electoral register reference number and tell you where you should go to cast your vote. However, you do not have to visit a polling station to vote. If you prefer you can arrange to vote by post. If you are unable to vote in person, in certain circumstances, you may be able to appoint a person to vote for you.
Find out more information how to vote
Election Unit, Aberdeenshire Council, Woodhill House, Westburn Road, Aberdeen AB16 5GB
Telephone 01224 665119
For Electoral Registration:
Electoral Registration Officer, Woodhill House, Westburn Road, Aberdeen, AB16 5GE
Telephone: 01224 664848