Scheme of Governance - How the council makes decisions
The council follow clear procedures to ensure that all decisions are lawful, accessible and transparent.
Decisions made by Members
Members are responsible for making strategic decisions both in Full Council and Committee meetings. Members also monitor and scrutinise delivery of council services carried out by officers.
View committees system for full details of every Committee and Sub-Committee, their membership and authority to make decisions.
Decisions made by Officers
Officers make decisions to ensure that day to day operational matters are carried out. It is the responsibility of the Chief Executive and the Chief Officers to manage the delivery of council services.
Scheme of Governance
The Scheme of Governance is a set of documents describing how the council makes decisions. The documents detail who has authority to make decisions and the rules to be followed at council meetings.
To find out more view our Scheme of Governance documents:
- Standing Orders – the rules regulating council meetings (pdf 499KB)
- List of Committee Powers (pdf 535KB)
- List of Officers Powers (pdf 436KB)
- List of Planning Delegations (pdf 598KB)
- Financial Regulations – the rules on spending (pdf 421KB)
- Scrutiny Procedures (pdf 1028KB)
- Procurement Procedures (pdf 272KB)
- Glossary of Terms (pdf 336KB)