Learn to Swim - swimming lessons
The Swim Aberdeenshire Learn to Swim Programme caters for all age groups from babies to preschool to juniors to adult classes and lifesaving sessions.
As part of this programme, we offer our Swim Aberdeenshire membership for juniors (age five to 16).
Find out more about:
- Swimming classes
- Intensive swimming lessons
- Apply for swimming lessons (all ages)
- Contact us
Our swimming pools offer a variety of swimming classes.
Adult and child sessions
These classes take place with the adult and child in the water. These classes are taught with up to 12 children and adults by one teacher.
There are four age groups for these classes:
- three to 15 months
- 15 months to two and a half years
- two and a half to three and a half years
- three and a half to five years
These classes take place with the child in the water without the parent. These classes are taught with up to six children by one teacher.
There are two types of classes:
- Preschool (three and a half to five years)
- Advanced preschool (three and a half to five years)
The advanced preschool classes are for the more confident children and entry to these classes will be by invitation only.
These classes take place with the child in the water without the adult.
There are seven levels of junior classes:
- Beginner level - This class is designed for children who have little or no experience in the pool environment. The aim is to introduce them to the swimming pool environment, and early water confidence practices. Classes of up to eight children for one teacher.
- Level one - This class is an introduction to basic movement skills, water confidence and orientation in shallow water. Introduction to body position and leg actions for all four strokes. Classes of up to eight children for one teacher.
- Level two - The aim of this class is to improve submersion, buoyancy, balance, body position and leg action. Travel for up to 10 metres on front and back. Classes of up to eight children for one teacher.
- Level three - This class is an introduction to the swimming strokes, focus on arm action. Developing buoyancy, sculling, rotation and breath control. Confidence in deep water. Classes of up to 10 children for one teacher.
- Level four - The aim of this class is to improve swimming skills, including reinforcing body position leg and arm action and, improving breathing. Classes of up to 10 children for one teacher.
- Level five - The aim of this class is to develop swimming strokes for up to 50 metres and an introduction to survival skills. Classes of up to 12 children for one teacher.
- Level six - The aim of this class is to combine movement and swimming skills to develop swimming strokes for up to 100m. Develop survival skills. Classes of up to 16 children for one teacher.
If you feel your child should enter the scheme from level two upwards, please contact your local centre to arrange an assessment of your child's ability.
We also offer lessons for 16 years and over:
We offer lifesaving lessons from the age of eight.
This class is aimed at eight to 12 year olds to provide a fun and safe way to learn lifesaving skills and water safety. There are three levels: Bronze, Silver and Gold.
Survive and save
This class is for teens and adults from the age of 12. It teaches lifesaving rescue, self-rescue, survival, lifesaving sport skills and also develop swimming ability and fitness. There are three levels: Bronze, Silver and Gold.
National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ)
We run NPLQ courses at all our facilities at various times. The course takes around 45 hours to complete including the end of course assessment.
You must be at least 16 years and be able to:
- swim 100 metres continuously on front and then on back
- swim 50 metres in one minute or less
- jump or dive in to the pool in deep water
- tread water, in deep water for 30 seconds
- climb out of the pool unaided, without the use of steps or ladders
- surface dive to the deepest part of the pool (minimum of 1.8 metres)
During most holiday periods, we offer intensive swimming lessons.
Intensive lessons are a great way of rapidly improving your child’s swimming. Children attend a lesson per day for every day of a week, Monday to Friday, in the holidays. Intensive lessons are available for all stages of the Learn to Swim Programme. Dates and times of available lessons can be found on the pool timetable of our swimming pools.
These intensive lessons must be booked in person at one of our swimming pools.
View our standard prices for juniors:
View our standard prices for over 16 years:
For any other prices, contact us.
Before you apply
Before you request to join a swimming class, please note that:
- children must have been born to request to join an adult and child class
- children must be at least two and a half years of age to request to join a preschool class (entry to the class will be from three and a half years)
- children must be at least four years of age to request to join a junior class (entry to the class will be from five years or once attending Primary one)
We will not accept any application where a child is not old enough for the class applied for.
You can apply online by completing our Learn to Swim application form.
Upon receipt of your application, we will add you to a waiting list and contact you as soon as a space becomes available.