Works on Residential Streets
Under the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984, it is an offence to carry out any works on a road without the prior approval of the Roads Authority. This includes:
- Depositing building materials/skips
- Erecting staging or scaffolding on or over any part of the road
It should be noted that the terms "roads" encompasses the carriageway, footway or verges of any road and includes public footpaths and cycle tracks.
If you are carrying out works, which may cause an obstruction then you will need to obtain the appropriate permits. Similarly any use of temporary traffic signals (traffic lights) requires prior approval.
Road occupation permits
- Apply for permission to erect scaffolding or hoardings (PDF 242KB)
- Apply for permission to excavate in a road (PDF 103KB)
- Apply for permission to deposit building materials on a road (PDF 107 KB)
- Apply for permission to deposit skips (PDF 207KB)
- Apply for permission to use a crane/mechanical working platform on a road (PDF 103KB)
- Apply for a temporary traffic signals (PDF 122KB)