The road layout and structure in most urban areas has been designed to cater for a maximum size and weight of vehicle. The normal size and weight limits are contained in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) (Amendment No.7) Regulations 1998 and The Road Vehicles (Authorised Weight) Regulations 1998, and it is unlawful to exceed these.
However, some loads are very large or heavy and cannot reasonably be divided up in either size or weight for the purposes of transport. These loads have to be transported on special vehicles, which are larger and heavier than normal lorries.
When loads do not comply with the above regulations, the following advance notification procedures apply:
- A Dimensions within "Construction and Use Regulations"
- B Dimensions within "Special Types General Order"
- C Dimensions requiring Special Order
Laden dimensions not exceeding:
- 2.9m (9’6”) overall width or
- 18.3m (60’0”) overall length or
- 44,000kgs (44t) gross weight
No requirement for notice to Police or for notice with indemnity to Highway and Bridge Authorities. Secretary of State authorisation is not required for the movements of loads with laden dimensions as above.
Laden dimensions in excess of “Construction & Use Regulations” but not exceeding:
- 6.1m (20’0”) overall width* - 2 days clear notice to Police
- 30.00m (98’6”) rigid length - 2 days clear notice to Police
- 80,000kgs (80t) gross weight - 2 days clear notice with signed indemnity to Highway and Bridge Authorities
- Over 80,000kgs (80t) but not exceeding 150,000kgs (150t) gross weight - 5 clear days notice with signed indemnity to Highway & Bridge Authorities and 2 clear days notice to Police
* Secretary of State “VR1” authorisation is required for the movement of loads with an overall width in excess of 5.0m (16’5”), but not exceeding 6.1m (20’0”).
Laden dimensions exceeding:
- 6.1m (20’0”) overall width - 5 clear days notice to Police
- 30.0m (98’6”) rigid length - 5 clear days notice to Police
- 150,000kgs (150t) gross weight and/or 16,500kgs (16.5t) per axle - 5 clear days notice with signed indemnity to Highway and Bridge Authorities and 5 clear days notice to Police
Secretary of State “Special Order” authorisation is required for the movement of loads with the laden dimensions as above.
Normal procedure is to email notification and signed indemnity to firstname.lastname@example.org. "Clear days notice" excludes weekends and bank holidays.