Additional Support Needs

readingA child or young person is said to have 'additional support needs' if they need additional support with their education. Additional support can mean any kind of educational provision that is more than, or very different from, the education that is normally provided in mainstream schools.

A child or young person may need additional support for a number of different reasons, for example:

  • Difficulties with mainstream approaches to learning
  • Disability or health needs, such as motor or sensory impairment, learning difficulties or autistic spectrum disorder.
  • Family circumstances e.g. young people who are carers or parents.

These pages provide information on the services and support that are available for children and young people who have additional support needs.

As a parent, carer or teacher of a child who is struggling with school, you may find yourself wondering how to deal with this and provide the best support. This booklet offers practical strategies to help parents, carers and teachers work together more effectively and offers a greater understanding of how a child’s past experiences can affect their ability to cope within education.

A guide for parents, carers and schools working with children who are Adopted, Looked After in Foster Care or at home in Kinship Care (pdf 1875kb) 

For further information on Educational Psychology please see our Educational Psychology Service page.

The following policy and guidance details how educational establishments may support the healthcare and medical needs of pupils.  Guidance provided by NHS Grampian healthcare professionals gives a little information into common childhood conditions, but detailed planning and protocols may be provided by specialist nurses, community paediatricians and GPs working in partnership with school staff, parents and the child/young person.

  • CALM
    Find out about the Crisis and Aggression, Limitation and Management (CALM) model that is used to de-escalate behaviour crises in our schools.
  • Gypsy/Travellers
    The support that is available for Gypsy/Traveller children and young people should they settle in Aberdeenshire. There's also the hand-held educational record which they can take with them if they move between schools.
  • Motor Skills
    Read about the support that is available for children and young people who have motor co-ordination difficulties. There is also Smart Moving, which has activities which all pupils can take part in.
  • Horse riding through RDA
    View guidance and documentation for horse riding which may be provided through the Riding for the Disabled Association in collaboration with Aberdeenshire Council
  • Promoting Positive Relationships
    Read about our strategies for development a culture of constructive relationships based on mutual respect, responsibility and tolerance within a supported learning environment.

Supporting children with special dietary requirements, contains information for parents/carers, and school staff on the roles, responsibilities, procedures, forms and some examples of special dietary requirements; to ensure that a child's needs are met appropriately.

Help us improve