How do I get help at home?

Care at home service

Our care at home service includes personal care such as:

It provides support and practical assistance to people at home, allowing you to be as independent as possible.

We have a workforce of over 700 trained home carers and we also arrange for other care organisations to provide care at home on our behalf. The service is available 365 days per year, providing essential care and support.

We will assess what your care needs are and how we can help you at home. You may be asked to contribute towards the cost of the services you receive. Many people will pay nothing, or will only contribute towards part of the cost. Once the services are in place they are regularly reviewed.

If you think you, a relative or friend needs help to manage at home, our guide to care at home (pdf 383kb) gives more information.

Or call 03456 08 12 06 for more information about the care at home service.

What is care at home?

Care at home services can help you to manage:

  • personal care
  • practical support as part of a combined care package with personal care, to meet essential daily living needs
  • home support

Care at home is available from early morning to late evening, 365 days of the year. In exceptional circumstances, or where people experience a crisis, we can arrange for home carers to respond during the night.

For more information please call 03456 08 12 06.

Is care at home the same as free personal care?

No, but free personal care in one element of care at home services. Free personal care is available to people aged 65 and over. We will do an assessment with you to identify your needs and whether you require personal care. If you are aged 65 or over, you will receive help with personal care free of charge.

Who is entitled to care at home?

People of all ages receive care at home. You maybe eligible if you:

  • need help with personal care and practical support to live independently
  • have increasing frailty or dementia
  • are ill and living at home
  • have a disability or sensory impairment, mental health problems or substance misuse problems

If you would like to find out more call 03456 08 12 06 or email

How do I arrange care at home for myself, a relative or friend?

You can make a referral to us by calling 03456 08 12 06. Or you can email us at

Alternatively, you can speak to the health staff in your local GP practice.

Can I manage my own budget for care at home?

Yes. If you are assessed as needing care at home and you want funding to manage your own care services, you can apply to us for a direct payment. This will allow you to arrange your own care at home service with a provider of your choice.

How much do I have to pay for care at home?

We operate a charging policy for care at home services which is based on a person's ability to pay. Depending on your income, you may be required to make a contribution to the cost of your care at home service.

Further details are available in our guide on contributing towards the cost of your care.

Aberdeenshire Responders for Care at Home (ARCH)

We run an out of hours responder service for care at home users and sheltered housing tenants who need urgent support. Aberdeenshire Responders for Care at Home (ARCH) is available out with normal working hours - after 5pm and before 9am Monday to Friday and during weekends.

A response can be activated by phoning 03456 08 12 06. Alternatively, sheltered housing tenants can press their pendant or use their pull cord.

For non urgent care and support enquiries please call 03456 08 12 06 between 8am and 6pm.

How do I get help at home with meals?

If you are unable to prepare a hot meal for yourself at home a meals at home service can be arranged, to help you remain as independent as possible and make sure you will be able to have a daily nutritious main meal.

You can order between 10 and 14 frozen meals to be delivered fortnightly, for you to cook each day. You can select from a choice of over 100 dishes, providing variety for all tastes. Special diets can be catered for. Each meal consists of soup and a main course, or a main course and a pudding, depending on your preference.

A small charge is made for each meal ordered.

You need a freezer and a microwave to cook the meals, but these can be supplied for a small additional rental charge. If you are unable to cook the meals yourself, a home carer can help you with preparation of the two course meals.

This service is arranged through a local area coordinator or care manager who will visit you to discuss your wishes and explain more about the service.

For more information, or to request an assessment, please call 03456 08 12 06.

Occupational therapy service

Our occupational therapy service is available to people of all ages who experience difficulties with everyday tasks because of disability, illness and / or frailty.

We aim to help you enjoy a better quality of life by allowing you to remain as independent as possible.

We may be able to help if you are:

  • having difficulty coping with everyday tasks, such as washing, dressing, using the toilet, or getting around a house
  • at risk of being admitted to hospital or residential care
  • terminally ill
  • suffering from a sudden traumatic illness such as stroke or head injury
  • suffering from a chronic condition which has deteriorated or flared up, such as arthritis or multiple sclerosis
  • a carer or someone with a disability who needs advice and support

Your needs will be assessed by our occupational therapy team so the appropriate solutions to your difficulties can be found.

For more information please call 03456 08 12 06

Can I get equipment to help me do things independently?

The community alarm scheme allows you to call for help in an emergency at any time, day or night.

Telecare provides a range of additional alarm systems that can alert you when something needs your attention or alert others to help you when you need it.

An occupational therapy assessment or self-assessment will help you get the aids and equipment you need to help you with dressing or self-care, eating and drinking, household and kitchen tasks.

Grampian CareData can provide information on local organisations providing wheelchairs, equipment and appliances

Help us improve