Aberdeenshire Educational Trust

The Aberdeenshire Educational Trust was set up for residents, schools and organisations in the former County of Aberdeen, under the Aberdeenshire Educational Trust Scheme 1955 and Amendment Scheme of 1966. The Trust awards grants to individuals, schools and organisations to help with the cost of school trips, further education and funding for sports clubs and facilities.

Some areas of Aberdeenshire are not in the former County of Aberdeen, but grants may still be available for those who live in those areas. The Banffshire Educational Trust is available for people who live in the former County of Banffshire, and the Kincardineshire Educational Trust is available for people who live in the former County of Kincardine. There are also grants available through Aberdeen Endowment Trust for those who live in the City of Aberdeen.

On this page you can find more information about:

Types of grants available

Aberdeenshire Educational Trust Grants are available to help fund:

  • the cost of a pupil going on a school trip
  • students go onto further education, meaning college or university, or gain work experience
  • with promotion of education in art, music or drama
  • educational experiments and research
  • educational enterprise schemes
  • maintain sports facilities and support of clubs

Who can apply for a grant

To be eligible, you must be a resident in a property which is within the former Aberdeen County Council area which includes some areas in Aberdeen City, including Bridge of Don and Dyce.

Further education students and clubs who need financial assistance can apply for an educational grant. Parents and guardians can apply if they receive any of the following benefits:

  • Free School Meals or School Clothing Grant
  • Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance
  • Any income related element of Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit or Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit Guaranteed Credit
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999

Parents and guardians can also apply if they are on a low income with capital under £10,000.

How to apply

School travel grants

If you wish to apply for a grant to help fund the cost of a school pupil going on a school trip you can complete our online form. All schools, universities and colleges in Aberdeenshire, City and Moray hold copies of paper application forms.

Apply for a school travel grant

Further education grant

If you wish to apply for a grant to help fund your further education you can complete our online form. Further education grants can cover:

  • entrance fees
  • examination fees
  • cost of books, equipment, special clothing and other items specifically required for course
  • accommodation costs for living away from home during term time only
  • travel to college or university

Please note this grant is not available for living expenses at home or living away from home.

Apply for a grant to fund your further education

Sports facilities and clubs

If you wish to apply for a grant to fund a sports club you can complete our online form.

Apply for a grant to fund a sports facility or club

If you would like a paper copy of these forms, they can be requested by emailing asataet@aberdeenshire.gov.uk with your name, address and the type of grant you wish to apply for. All schools in the old Aberdeen County area hold copies of paper forms.

What happens next

Applications will be assessed to decide whether they meet the criteria for a grant.

For pupil travel grants, a letter will be sent to the applicant and the school will be notified of any grant they may be entitled to. The grant will be paid direct to the school. Further educational and sports grant applicants will be notified of the outcome of their application.


Grants for school trips will be paid directly to the school that your child attends, after the trip has taken place.

Further education grants will be paid directly to the applicant once we have received confirmation that they have started their course.

Sports facilities and equipment grants will be paid directly to the sport facilities bank account.

Contact us

For more information on Aberdeenshire Educational Grants or help on completing the forms please contact us at asataet@aberdeenshire.gov.uk. You can also get in touch by writing to us at:

Aberdeenshire Council
Aberdeenshire Support and Advice Team
PO Box 18533
Inverurie AB51 3WA