Statutory Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places
Statutory Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places 2011
As required by Section 16 of the Electoral Administration Act 2006, Aberdeenshire Council has conducted a review of polling districts and polling places within the UK parliamentary constituencies of Banff and Buchan, Gordon and West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine.
Each local authority is required to carry out such a review every four years to ensure both reasonable facilities for voting and that polling places are accessible to all electors, including voters with a disability, so far as is practicable.
Representations were invited from electors within the Aberdeenshire Council area or within any Parliamentary constituency within the authority's area, and from anyone else, including elected representatives, political parties and persons or organisations with particular expertise in respect of access to premises for people with different forms of disability.
Those who wished to make representations regarding existing polling arrangements were requested, wherever possible, to offer alternative venues which might be used as polling places. Copies of alternative proposals received, together with correspondence sent to any person whom the Council thinks has expertise in relation to accessibility issues are attached on these pages.
Having considered all representations received, the Council decided to approve those polling districts and polling places which it believed are best suited for providing reasonable facilities for all voters, including those with a disability. A report providing details of the approved polling places and polling districts can be found below, together with relevant maps and a copy of the formal review notice, the Aberdeenshire Local Development Plan, housing schedules and small area population estimates. The Returning Officer made a submission on the basis of initial representations received and that too has been placed on this site.
- Formal Notice of Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places (pdf 15.3kb)
- Aberdeenshire's Administrative Areas, Electoral Wards and Settlements (pdf 201kb)
Letters to Access Panels and Capability Scotland
Correspondence from Aberdeen City Council
- Aberdeen City Council Chief Executive Response (pdf 29kb)
- Aberdeen City Council Response D Gow (pdf 14kb)
Correspondence Regarding Huntly
- Huntly Community Council Response (pdf 72kb)
- Email to Huntly Area Manager (pdf 10kb)
- Huntly Area Manager Reply (pdf 7kb)
Correspondence Regarding Turriff
- Memorandum to Formartine Area Manager Re Turriff (pdf 20kb)
- Formartine Area Manager Reply Re Turriff (pdf 7kb)
Correspondence Regarding Macduff School
- Macduff Primary School Parent Council Response (pdf 17kb)
- Reply to Macduff Primary School Parent Council Reply (pdf 13kb)
Correspondence Regarding Portlethen
- Cllr Mollison Response Re Portlethen (pdf 23kb)
- Reply to Cllr Mollison Re Portlethen (pdf 13kb)
- Cllr Mollison Response No. 2 Re Portlethen (pdf 11kb)
- Reply No. 2 to Cllr Mollison Re Portlethen (pdf 14kb)
- Kincardine and Mearns Area Manager Response Re Portlethen (11kb)
- Electoral Registration Office Response Re Portlethen (pdf 15kb)
- North Kincardine Rural Community Council Response 16-10-2011 (pdf 12kb)
- Reply to North Kincardine Rural Community Council (pdf 12kb)
Correspondence Regarding Drumblade
Correspondence Regarding King Edward
- King Edward and Gamrie Community Council 17-10-2011 (pdf 11kb)
- Reply to King Edward and Gamrie Community Council (pdf 12kb)
Report on Second Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places
- Second Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places (54kb)
- Second Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places Appendix A (35kb)
- Second Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places Appendix B (16kb)
- Second Review of Polling Districts and Polling Places Appendix C (1254kb)
Extract of Minute of Aberdeenshire Council of 24 November, 2011
Approved List of Polling Districts 5 December, 2011
Information pertaining to the final, approved polling places and polling districts can also be viewed at the Council's HQ at Woodhill House, Westburn Road, Aberdeen, and at main area offices as follows: St. Leonard's, Sandyhill Road, Banff; Arbuthnot House, Broad Street, Peterhead; Area Office, Bridge Street, Ellon; Gordon House, Blackhall Road, Inverurie; Area Office, School Road, Alford; and Viewmount, Arduthie Road, Stonehaven.
Individuals, however, still have a right to make representations to the Electoral Commission regarding the findings of the Council's review. Representations must be in writing by post (Electoral Commission, Trevelyan House, Great St Peter Street, London, SW1P 2HW), e-mail (email@example.com) or fax (020 7271 0505) and should be specific as possible. The grounds on which it may be stated that a local authority has failed to conduct a proper review are: (a) the authority has failed to meet the reasonable requirements of electors in the constituency or (b) the authority has failed to take sufficient account of accessibility to disabled persons of the polling stations within a polling place. Any such representations should include the location and other relevant information regarding the polling place/station at issue, stating specifically why it is inaccessible or does not meet the reasonable requirements of electors.
Election Unit, Aberdeenshire Council, Woodhill House, Westburn Road, Aberdeen, AB16 5GB
Telephone: 01224 665119