Scheme of Governance - How the council makes decisions
The council follow clear procedures to ensure that all decisions are lawful, accessible and transparent.
Decisions made by Members
Members are responsible for making strategic decisions both in Full Council and Committee meetings. Members also monitor and scrutinise delivery of council services carried out by officers.
View committees system for full details of every Committee and Sub-Committee, their membership and authority to make decisions.
Decisions made by Officers
Officers make decisions to ensure that day to day operational matters are carried out. It is the responsibility of the Chief Executive and the Chief Officers to manage the delivery of council services.
Scheme of Governance
The Scheme of Governance is a set of documents describing how the council makes decisions. The documents detail who has authority to make decisions and the rules to be followed at council meetings.
To find out more view our Scheme of Governance documents:
- Standing Orders (PDF 375KB)
- List of Committee Powers (PDF 293KB)
- List of Officer Powers (PDF 752KB)
- List of Planning Delegations (PDF 454KB)
- Financial Regulations (PDF 5.1MB)
- Scrutiny and Improvement at Aberdeenshire (PDF 8MB)
- Policy Development and Review Framework (PDF 544KB)
- Procurement Guidance (PDF 276KB)
- Financial Delegation Tables (PDF 291KB)
- Notice of Motion Guidance (PDF 300KB)
- Member Promoted Issue Form and Guidance (PDF 277KB)
- Guidance on Fully Virtual and Hybrid Meetings (PDF 148KB)
- Guidance on petitions (PDF 358KB)
- Development Plan Governance Guidance (PDF 190KB)
- Glossary of Terms (PDF 298KB)