Private Water Supplies
Financial assistance may be available to improve private water supplies
The Aberdeenshire Council area has approximately 8000 private water supplies serving both domestic and commercial properties.
Safe drinking water is essential to good health. All private water supplies can pose a threat to health unless they are properly protected and treated. They may become contaminated with bacteria or other substances.
You may not be able to tell whether your water is safe as contamination may not change the smell, taste or colour of the water. Unlike public supplies, most private supplies are not treated to remove contamination.
What You Should Do
Find out about your supply
- Who is responsible for the upkeep and maintenance (if this is not clear, consider reaching an agreement with the other users)?
- Where is the source? If it is not on your land, are you in contact with the Landowner?
- Where does it go to get to your property?
- Is it treated in any way?
- Is the treatment equipment in good order and serviced regularly? Does it treat the water for the whole house or just one tap?
Keep your supply safe
Make sure you inspect all parts of your supply regularly, including the catchment area, to check it is in good order and has not been interfered with, damaged or contaminated.
Supplies from Springs, Wells or Boreholes
- Check that the source is adequately protected to stop surface water getting into your supply, particularly at times of heavy rain.
Supplies from Burns, Rivers or Lochs
- The collection arrangement should include a settlement pond to allow larger particles to settle out before the water flows into your supply
- The collection arrangement should include a sand or gravel filter to remove organic material and small animals - but these filters will not remove all bacteria or chemical contamination.
- Ensure that the water being collected is not contaminated by discharges further upstream from a septic tank, or by sewage.
Supplies from Farmland/Land where animals graze or Manure is Spread
- Divert rain water run-off so it does not flow into your supply (for example with a small ditch leading away from your supply)
- Check that the farmer is aware of the drinking water supply and the need to avoid contaminating it by farming activity
- Fencing may be necessary to stop farm and other animals from interfering with the water
If your supply has water collection chambers and/or storage tanks
- These should have watertight walls and lids
- Tops of chambers or tanks should be above ground level to prevent water from surrounding land flowing into them
- Any overflow pipes or vents in chambers and tanks should be designed to stop animals and debris from entering.
- The collection chamber should not be close to any soakaway or drain
The Private Water Supplies (Scotland) Regulations 2006 came into force on 3rd July 2006 and replaced The Private Water Supplies (Scotland) Regulations 1992.
The 2006 Regulations defines supplies as either:
Type A - Supplies providing 10m3 of water a day or serving 50 or more persons; and supplies to commercial or public activities irrespective of their size.
Type B - Supplies serving only domestic premises with less than 50 persons supplied.
Type A supplies fall within the provisions of the E.C. Drinking Water Directive (98/83/EC) which requires each supply to be sampled and analysed for a wide range of parameters at least once a year.
Type B supplies are required to comply with a limited range of parameters that are defined in the Regulations and will not form part of a statutory sampling programme.
If you would like your water tested, contact 01467 539539
Request Water Sample Charges
A standard Type B microbiological and chemical water sample costs £134.00.
Fill out our Private Water Supply Request for Sample Form
Aberdeenshire Council would recommend that samples requested for house sales should be analysed for the restricted range of parameters prescribed for Type B supplies, plus Iron and Manganese which have been known to be elevated in some supplies in the Aberdeenshire area. This recommendation pertains to houses on both Type A and Type B supplies. Where requests relate to non domestic premises, including bed and breakfasts, you should discuss this further with the relevant Environmental Health Officer.
A form for requesting a sample for a house sale can be downloaded here.
If your private supply is contaminated, if you decide to install water treatment equipment or if you want general advice about water supplies you can contact the contractors listed below. Grant assistance may be available to improve your private water supply.
Persons and Companies who may advise you regarding Private Water Supplies
This list is neither approved nor complete. Aberdeenshire Council gives no assurance that a Company listed below is either qualified or competent to carry out any private water supply work:
- A2Z WATER FILTERS SCOTLAND
High Street, Kinross KY13 8AA
Telephone: (01577) 531067
- ALPHA BIO SYSTEMS
Harlaw Industrial Estate, Inverurie, Aberdeenshire
Telephone: (01467) 620266
- FERRIER PUMP SUPPLIES LIMITED
Unit 5, Portlethen Industrial Estate, Aberdeen
Telephone: (01224) 782022
Thainstone Business Park, Inverurie, Aberdeenshire
Telephone: (01467) 623010
- WILLIAM J CLUBB, PLUMBING & HEATING
133 Station Road, Ellon, Aberdeenshire
Telephone: (01358) 720979
Velco House, The Square, Ferrybridge, West Yorkshire Telephone: (0800) 243190
- KEN SCOTT WATER TREATMENT
1 Old Schoolhouse, Millbrex, Fyvie, AB53 8ND
Mobile: 07967 009181
- AQUA CURE SCOTLAND
Lawgrove Place, Inveralmond Industrial Estate, Perth, PH1 1SG
Telephone: (01738) 626648
- LIFF INDUSTRIES LTD
Bay Hall, Miln Road, Huddersfield, HD1 5EJ
Telephone: (01484) 512537
- I & E SMITH SERVICES
Belwade Cottage, Aboyne, AB34 5GQ Telephone: (013398) 86634
Mobile: 0790 254 7466
(Advice and Provision of Equipment, Installation and Water Divining)
- TURRIFF AGRI PARTS LTD
22 - 26 Duff Street, Turriff, AB53 4AX
Telephone: (01888) 563509
(Advice and provision of equipment)
- GRC Aquatech
South Road, Insch
Tel: 01464 820107
- MARSHALL PUMPS SYSTEM LTD
Rhodes Bank, Oldham OL1 1UA
Telephone: (0161) 6786111
- JS AGRI-TECH
Telephone: 0777 4510 189 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- HIGHWATER (SCOTLAND) LTD
Unit 10, Grigorhill Industrial Estate, Nairn, IV12 5HX
Telephone: (01667) 451009
(Consultants, Equipment Supplier/Installer, Borehole Drilling Specialists)
- ACCESS UTILITIES UK LTD
Rydal House, 168-170 Chaddock Lane, Worsley, Manchester
Telephone: (0161) 7039300
Riverview Buildings, Bradford Road, Riddlesden, Keighly, West Yorkshire BD20 5JH
Telephone: (01535) 210320
(Advice and Provision of Equipment and Installation)
- EWAN GROUP PLC
Priory Court, Poulton, Cirencester, Gloucestershire GL7 5JB
Telephone: (01285) 850415
- Robert Fletcher Prospect Plumbing
11 Prospect Terrace Lumphanan Aberdeenshire AB31 4SH
Telephone: 01339 883206