In addition to the challenges posed by the recent winter weather, we are targeting our resources to respond to the impact of Storm Arwen. We have redeployed staff from across to the council to: perform critical duties; staff our assistance hotline; and to provide on the ground support for our communities.We are responding to enquiries in date and priority order and as a result there may be a delay in responding to some enquiries.To help us manage these as quickly and efficiently as possible, we ask for your help to avoid calling back our Housing, Roads and Waste lines if possible, if you have already logged a request with us, and thank you for your patience and understanding during this time.
- What is Housing Support?
- Who can receive support?
- What can the Housing Support service help you with?
- What the Housing Support service cannot help you with
- The role of your Housing Officer (Support)
- How to contact us
- Housing Support privacy notice (pdf 82.1KB)
Our Housing Support Outreach Service is a free, short term service. We can assess your circumstances and give low level housing support to help you resolve a crisis and/or improve your skills and confidence to take control of your life and make your own decisions about your future.
If you need longer term support, we can arrange an assessment with a Housing Support Assessment Officer who may be able to commission a longer term housing support package to suit you. This service is available if you have been assessed as needing help so you can stay, or become independent, in your own home. There is a charge for this type of housing support, but you can request a financial assessment. This assessment may cancel, or reduce, the cost of the service charged to you.
If you are aged 16 and living in Aberdeenshire you may self refer, or be referred, to the Housing Support service by your Housing Officer, Careers Officer, Social Worker or any other person who may be working with you.
You can be living in any type of accommodation in Aberdeenshire.
Depending upon your assessed needs Housing Support can help you to:
- manage your money, bills and budget
- settle you into a new home - for example sorting out your gas and electric supplier
- point you to other services
- help you report repairs, sort out rent and other tenancy issues
- help you to arrange, and prompt you to attend, appointments and meetings
- help you fill in forms and write letters
- support you with leisure, skills, and employment opportunities
- prompt and support you to develop or maintain independent living skills
The Housing Support service cannot help you with:
- managing your finances for you
- paying your bills for you
- giving you personal care or helping with washing and dressing. We will help you to apply for home care services
- doing housework, cooking or carry out repairs for you. We will help you to report repairs or apply for home care services
- bringing prescriptions to your home or giving you medicines or tablets
- doing your washing or ironing
- going with you on outings or social events
- giving counselling. We will help you to access counselling services
- settling disputes between you and other people. We will help you access mediation services
Your Housing Officer (Support) will carry out an assessment by talking to you to find out what your needs are and what sort of support would be best for you. We will talk to you about your circumstances, your past experiences, your situation now and what you would like to achieve in the future. Your Housing Officer (Support) will help you put a support plan together. The plan will list your goals, such as changes that you want to make. Your Housing Officer (Support) will aim to help you improve your skills and confidence and achieve the best outcomes for you.
Your Housing Officer (Support) will regularly review your support needs to make sure the support you are getting is what you need.
For more information about the help and support our Housing Support service can give you please read our Housing Support service leaflet:
If you need more information, or have any questions, about our Housing Support service, please contact us on 03456 08 12 03.