Home contents insurance

Although we insure the building structure against fire, there is no automatic insurance cover for your belongings against such events as fire, theft or flood damage.

We strongly advise that you take out home contents insurance cover, either by taking advantage of the scheme we have negotiated or by organising your own insurance cover with a responsible insurance company.

What are the benefits of having insurance with us?

  • Payments are made along with your rent on the same frequency and using the same payment methods
  • Standard cover provides insurance against fire, flood or theft but also includes cover for accidental damage of TVs, videos, DVD players, computers and hi-fis, even if rented
  • In addition, standard cover includes cover for accidental damage to external glazing in doors and windows, and also accidental damage to internal fixed glass, including mirrors, ceramic hobs and fixed glass in furniture
  • Other items are not automatically included for accidental damage in the standard cover but you can choose to add the full accidental damage option to your policy for payment of an additional premium
  • Cover is provided through a leading household insurer

You can view full details of the cover in our house contents insurance policy wording (pdf 682KB).

What if my rent is paid by full Housing Benefit?

You can still apply for insurance and will be given the same choice of payment methods as you would have if you paid rent. A Housing Officer will be happy to discuss this with you and set up the payment option that suits you best.

How do I apply?

You can download our house contents insurance application form (pdf 1.4MB) or you can pick up an application form from your local Housing office.

Make sure you complete the application form using the advice and table in the form to choose either standard or with accidental damage cover and the value of your contents you want to insure.

Tear off the application form and return it to your local Housing office.

When does the insurance start?

You will receive confirmation in writing advising if you have been accepted on the scheme. If you are accepted, the letter will inform you of the start date. You will also be told in writing how much to pay and the date when you should start paying.

What if I have insurance with a private insurer and want to change to your scheme?

You should check the renewal date of your current insurance. About a month before the renewal date, apply to our Insurance Scheme using the application form and ensure you clearly mark the start date using the same date as the renewal of your existing policy. This will give sufficient time to set up your new policy and allow us to confirm your acceptance on to the scheme. You will then need to remember to advise your private insurer that you will not be renewing their policy and cancel any payment arrangements you have in place with them.

Can I pay for my insurance in a lump sum?

No. The scheme is designed to allow payments in easy stages along with your rent. If you want to pay for insurance annually in a lump sum, you should consider taking insurance cover from an insurer in the marketplace who will allow payment in this way.

What happens if my circumstances change?

If your name and address change, or you wish to change your level of cover or cancel it, contact your local Housing office and complete the amendment in writing.

If you are cancelling your policy, please ensure that you receive confirmation that your insurance cover has been cancelled. If you do not, it may mean that we have not received your instruction, which means that your insurance cover has not been cancelled and premiums are still being charged.

If you move to another council house or change tenancy, you need to complete a new application.

What happens if I do not keep up my insurance payments?

To ensure that you are covered, you must keep all your rent payments up to date as your insurance cover is payable with the rent. If you only make a part payment, it will be assumed that rent is paid first and insurance subsequently. Failure to keep up payments could affect a claim settlement and will lead to the cancellation of your insurance.

top of page