Approved food establishments
If your activities involve the slaughter, cutting and packing of raw fresh meat you should contact Food Standards Scotland who are the competent authority in those cases.
If you intend to manufacture, produce or handle products of animal origin such as fish or fish products, shellfish, meat products, minced meat and meat preparations, dairy products or egg products and supply these products to other food businesses your operations may require to be approved by our Environmental Health Service who is the competent authority for approvals.
The activities carried out in approved establishments are strictly governed and require a higher standard of structure and operating procedures.
Before you apply for approval you need to contact us to discuss all proposals in respect of the premises, infrastructure, equipment and operating activities.
Telling us about any changes
When approval is granted a Notification of Approval is issued listing the specific activities which the establishment is approved to carry out as well as the specific species of product of animal origin the establishment is approved to handle.
If the business changes hands, or is altered in any way, or you want to make additional products, you must let us know as you might need further approval.
There is no fee for the application for approval of food establishment.
How to apply
We will need your application form to include supporting information and documentation. Without them we will not be able to process your application.
You will be required to supply the following details and descriptions in respect to the (proposed) establishment:
- scale plan showing the location of rooms and other areas to be used for the storage and processing of raw materials, product and waste, and the layout of facilities and equipment
- food safety management system based on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) principles
- establishment and equipment maintenance arrangements
- establishment, equipment and transport cleaning arrangements
- waste collection and disposal arrangements
- water supply
- water supply quality testing arrangements
- arrangements for product testing
- pest control arrangements
- monitoring arrangements for staff health
- staff hygiene training arrangements
- arrangements for record keeping
- arrangements for applying the identification mark to product packaging or wrapping
You can submit online application for approval of food establishment on GOV.UK website:
To apply in paper complete approved food establishment application form (PDF 172KB) form and send it to our Environmental Health team.
Full approval will not be granted until all of the required information and documentation has been provided, examined and verified.
An inspection will be carried out after first contact has been made to assess the application in principle and provide guidance on compliance matters. Following a three-month interval a final inspection will be carried out to ascertain whether full approval may be granted.
The establishment will not be allowed to operate until a formal Notification of Approval has been issued to the food business operator.
Our Environmental Health Service has an agreed Standard Operating Procedure that all new applications for approval are processed and dealt with by two Authorised Officers.
Tacit consent won't apply. This means that you cannot assume that the application has been approved if you do not hear from us by the end of the target completion period. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted.