Cooling tower notification

If you control a business or premises within Aberdeenshire you must ensure that you notify us of any cooling tower or evaporative condenser (notifiable devices) on the premises.

Notification is required by law so as to identify potential areas that could give rise to spread of infectious disease, such as legionella, and to ensure preventative measures are taken to eliminate the risk of such infection arising to employees and the public.

Telling us about any changes

You must notify us of any changes to the notification information within one month of the change in writing.

If the device becomes redundant and is decommissioned or dismantled, you must notify us in writing as soon as possible.

Application fee

There is no fee for this application. It is purely a notification process.

How to apply

You can notify us of a cooling tower or evaporative condenser on your premises in paper or online.

View Environmental Health privacy notices.

Apply in paper

To apply in paper complete the cooling tower and evaporative condenser notification form (PDF 83KB). Please send the completed form to Health and Safety Team Manager.

Apply online

You can submit an online application to notify us of cooling towers and evaporative condensers on the GOV.UK website:

Application process

Once the notification form together with all supporting documentation has been submitted, we will acknowledge receipt within one month, being the target completion period. The acknowledgement will include a reference number for your retention in case of query.

If you have not heard from us within the target completion period, please contact us.

Tacit Consent

Tacit consent will apply. This means that where the notification form and all supporting documentation has been submitted electronically, or by post and you can show proof of delivery either by way of an electronic receipt or from a post office or recognised courier, as the case may be, you will be able to act as though your notification has been received if you have not heard from us by the end of the target completion period. This period can be extended once if necessary due to the complexity of the issue provided we notify you of the extension and its duration before the expiry of the original target completion period.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint against a trader the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form of a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked and you are located in the UK, Consumer Direct will give you advice. From outside the UK please contact the UK European Consumer Centre.

Contact details

Team Manager - Health and Safety 
Infrastructure Service
Towie House 
AB53 4AY

Telephone: 01467 536779