Renewal of personal licences
If your personal licence was issued on or before 1st September 2009 or between 2nd September and 31st December 2009, you need to act now to renew your licence.
As a personal licence holder, you have 2 legal duties under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 that you need to comply with:
- Section 87 - You must undergo refresher training every 5 years to refresh your knowledge of the licensing regime and submit your training certificate to the board (you are now due to complete your second refresher course)
- Section 78 - You must apply to renew your personal licence every 10 years and lodge your renewal application with the relevant licensing board no later than 3 months before the expiry date of your licence
What you should do now
The Aberdeenshire Licensing Boards strongly advise you to book onto and complete a further refresher training course as soon as possible. Refresher courses are likely to be in very high demand so book onto a course at the earliest opportunity. Thereafter, you need to submit the following documents to the boards:
- Completed application form (pdf 183KB)
- Copy of your new refresher training certificate
- 2 new passport photographs
- The application fee of £50
- Your personal licence in full
Applications can be lodged from 1st October 2018 onwards.
Applications for renewal of your personal licence must be lodged with the Licensing Boards no later than 3 months prior to the date of expiry of your licence. This means that if your licence expires on 1st September 2019, the renewal application must be lodged by 31st May 2019.
The Boards have no discretion to accept late applications for renewal of licence. If you fail to meet the deadline for renewal, your existing licence will expire on its expiry date and you will need to apply for a new personal licence if you wish to be a personal licence holder after your existing licence has expired.
By following the above instructions, you will comply with both the requirement to renew your licence and complete your refresher training at the same time.
The Scottish Government has also produced a communications document and an accreditation document for personal licence holders providing information on what courses are acceptable to comply with the requirement to renew your licence and complete further refresher training.