Information for Parents and Carers

 Who are Educational Psychologists?

The Educational Psychology Service is part of the Education, Learning and Leisure of Aberdeenshire Council.

Educational Psychologists normally have an honours degree in Psychology, a postgraduate degree in Educational Psychology and a background in working with children and young people.

They are trained to work in collaboration with school staff, parents/carers and other professionals to help children and young people to achieve.

How does an Educational Psychologist become involved?

  • If you have any concerns about your child it is best to share them with school staff first as many problems can be solved in school without the involvement of an Educational Psychologist.
  • School staff will contact their named Psychologist if they feel that he or she might be able to help.
  • You can contact the Educational Psychology Service directly if you would prefer.

What happens when an Educational Psychologist becomes involved?

  • In the first instance, the Educational Psychologist will discuss the general issue relating to learning and teaching with school staff.
  • Where the Psychologist becomes formally involved with a child/young person, parental permission is always required.
  • If the Psychologist becomes formally involved, his or her assessment is likely to be based on information shared by those most closely involved with your child.  This information will be shared during a consultation meeting, which will last around 40 minutes.
  • This meeting will involve yourself, school staff, the Psychologist and any others who can helpfully contribute to this problem solving approach.
  • It may be helpful for your child to attend the meeting, particularly if he or she is in secondary school.
  • At the end of the meeting there will be an agreed plan of action.
  • A written record of the meeting will be sent to you and others who were present.
  • A follow-up consultation meeting may be held to review the success of the action plan and decide if any further action is needed.

Will the Educational Psychologist work directly with my child?

Sometimes gathering information about your child may involve:

  • Observing your child in school or nursery
  • Looking at your child’s school work
  • Playing with your child
  • Talking and listening to your child
  • Using assessment materials

How else might Educational Psychologists help?

Sometimes the best way for Educational Psychologists to help is through less direct means such as:

  • Advice and training for school staff
  • Working closely with other professionals
  • Projects that help improve learning and teaching
  • Group work with pupils
  • Training projects for pupils
  • Workshops for parents

For more information, you can phone 01569 690542 or email

View our information for parents and carers leaflet (pdf 188KB).

Help us improve