Primary and Special School Meals
Online payment for school meals
The introduction of the online payment facility for school meals and other school payments has brought new benefits to pupils, parents and carers who will use the system.
A letter detailing the facility and how you register to make online payments is sent to you when your child starts at primary school. The online payment facility is accessed by way of the Pay tab on the Aberdeenshire Council website.
A straightforward one-time registration is required to create your own unique username and password.
The preferred option is to make payments online but cash or cheque payments will be accepted.
The current price of a school meal is £2.30.
Please make sure you add funds to your child's account either online or by cash or cheque prior to sending them for school meals.
How pupils use this service to choose a school meal
Each morning in class all children choosing to have a school meal will select their main course for that day based on colour coded choices.
This information is recorded and will help the kitchen ensure pupils receive their selected option.
Interactive menus - allergen and nutritional information
Changes to food law requires all food businesses to provide information about allergens contained in the foods served to customers. Our School Catering service is no exception and has taken steps to provide this information to pupils and parents.
Our interactive menu facility enables parents to view recipe pages that display important allergen and nutritional detail. For pupils with food allergies information provided on any recipe page indicates whether that choice is acceptable as an option for lunch. This includes carbohydrate values that are of particular interest to parents of children with Type 1 diabetes.
View our menus:
- Interactive primary school menus (pdf 434KB)
- Vegetarian options (pdf 106KB)
- Leek and potato soup (pdf 127KB)
- Tomato and lentil soup (pdf 129KB)
- Lentil soup (pdf 130KB)
- Chicken noodle soup (pdf 130KB)
Our primary school menus have been translated into Arabic, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Russian, languages to enable families who speak these to discuss and make choices of meal options available at school lunch time.
View our translated menus:
- Arabic - primary school menus (pdf 512KB)
- Latvian - primary school menus (pdf 508KB)
- Lithuanian - primary school menus (pdf 239KB)
- Polish - primary school menus(pdf 276KB)
- Russian - primary school menus (pdf 468KB)
A daily School Meal menu offers:
- two hot main course choices with accompanying vegetable and carbohydrate choices
- the sandwich platter provides items making it an excellent alternative to a home pack lunch
- soup is available at least once a week
- pudding choices include fresh fruit, yogurt or cheese and biscuits
- a selection of breads are included with a school lunch meal
- fresh drinking water is freely available with lunch
Hitting the mark
Our School Catering service currently holds the Soil Association Bronze Food for Life catering award marking fresh and healthy meals to our 156 primary and special schools. The Food for Life Catering mark brings together all of the issues people care about: health, climate change and animal welfare. It recognises caterers who serve fresh food which is free from controversial additives and offers a guarantee that fresh food you can trust is always on our menus. We can assure you that the food we serve meets high standards of traceability, freshness and provenance.
Our school menus are already devised to meet Scottish Government nutritional requirements and achieve lower fat, lower saturated fat, lower sugar and lower salt content.
E-mail communication with our customers
The menus also feature information about the primary school meals e-mail box. You can offer comments and suggestions via the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org