Becoming an approved carer


What are the roles and expectations of being a Kinship Carer?

If you are thinking about applying to become a kinship carer for a 'looked after' child, we must consider information that may prevent you from being approved as a kinship carer. Under the Looked After Children (Scotland) Regulations 2009 we look at any:

  • criminal convictions or offending behaviour
  • drug and alcohol misuse
  • your health
  • involvement with our social work service where there were concerns about child welfare, care or protection
  • parental experience


The approval process

The ‘looked after’ child's social worker makes a referral to the Kinship Care team. They can arrange an initial joint visit to help you decide if you want to go ahead with your application and do a full assessment. The time scale for assessment is 12 weeks from referral to completion of assessment.

The assessment is done by a kinship care social worker and includes:

  • Protecting Vulnerable Adults Scheme (PVG) or disclosure checks on the household
  • health checks
  • local authority check on the household
  • health and safety check of home and car and insurance cover
  • references
  • discussions with you about your background, parenting experience and support networks


Based on the information gathered, the kinship care social worker makes a recommendation as to whether you meet the criteria for approval as a kinship carer.

The assessment report is presented to the Aberdeenshire Fostering, Kinship Care and Supported Lodgings Panel for their recommendation. You will have an opportunity to go to the panel to give your views and support your application. The panel makes a decision for recommendation of approval or non-approval as a kinship carer. The decision is approved by the social work agency decision maker. The agency decision maker is a nominated senior manager within Children's Services.

If you would like more information about the assessment or have any questions about the approval process, please contact our Kinship Care team or the child’s social worker.

top of page

Help us improve