Occupational therapy service

What the service offers

View Social Care and Health privacy notices

For more information or to ask for an assessment for occupational therapy services, please call 03456 08 12 06.

Rehabilitation and enablement

Occupational Therapist Demonstrating how to use a Kettle Tipper

We want to help you be independent with as little disruption to your normal daily life as possible. Therefore, rehabilitation and enablement through training and re-education is important. Many people can be helped to live independently without the need for equipment or adaptations.

Some examples of how we can help you are:

  • teaching you new ways of doing everyday tasks
  • working with you to regain confidence after time in hospital, such as getting in and out of the bath
  • education of energy conservation techniques to manage fatigue and improve your ability to carry out important activities
  • training in techniques to prevent falls such as being aware of hazards in your home and what you can do to make it safer. We might suggest you lift loose rugs in case you trip
  • training in techniques to protect your joints to maintain range of movement and reduce strain on damaged joints
  • educating on positioning – giving advice to parents on the correct seating position for their child to promote normal movement patterns
  • training and supporting carers to help with practical tasks, such as people handling techniques



Double Key TurnerThe correct equipment can promote independence, encourage normal movement and may prevent further deterioration.

We have a range of specialist equipment to help you, or your carer help you, with everyday tasks. There's no charge for this. Alternatively, there are many everyday items - such as electric can openers and large handled cutlery - stocked by local stores which can make your life easier. We can give advice if you are thinking about making a purchase.

Our leaflet Equipment to help you do everyday things (pdf 211kb) gives information on:

  • the help available from local authority and health care services
  • buying equipment for yourself
  • finding out what's available and how to buy
  • useful sources of information and advice
  • examples of equipment suppliers

 Specialist items can range from small equipment to help with getting on and off the toilet, to larger equipment to help you get up and down stairs.

Some examples of how equipment can help are:

  • Toilet with Hand Rails for a Disabled Person providing equipment to help keep independence for those living with a degenerative physical condition
  • provision of a specialised bath lift to help a parent to bath a child in a supported position
  • provision of a hoist fixed to the ceiling to help carers to safely move a person from wheelchair to toilet

 Equipment provided must be because you have been assessed as needing it, not just that it is your preference.


top of page

How long can I keep the equipment?

Equipment is provided on loan for as long as you need it, unless you are told otherwise.

If there are any problems with the equipment you should contact us to arrange repair or replacement.


top of page

Direct payments

Under the Direct Payments Act (1996) we can make arrangements to make a direct payment for you to purchase the specialist equipment you have been assessed as needing.

This means that instead of us supplying the equipment, you would buy it yourself. However, we must be satisfied that you needed the equipment and that you are able to manage the direct payment appropriately.

Any direct payments that are not used appropriately must be paid back to us.

More information is in Self-directed support.


top of page

What do I do if I no longer need the equipment?

We can arrange to collect your equipment if it is no longer needed. Please call us on 03456 08 12 06 if you need some equipment collecting.

Some items may not be suitable to return for health and safety reasons. Your occupational therapist or assistant will be able to advise you.


top of page

Is there any equipment that you will not provide?

There are types of equipment which we would not provide. But we may be able to give you advice on where you can get these.

Examples of equipment we do not provide include:

Mobility equipment

  • scooters
  • walking sticks
  • walking frames (e.g. Zimmer)
  • wheelchairs

Equipment required to manage an illness or health problem

  • commodes
  • footstools
  • urinals
  • incontinence pads

Equipment to help with nursing care

  • specialised beds
  • bed rails -such as cot sides 

Everyday items widely available from retailers

  • kitchen aids, such as jar openers
  • household aids, such as helping hands
  • washing aids, such as long handled sponges
  • dressing aids, such as long handled shoehorns
  • eating and drinking aids, such as cutlery


top of page


Occupational Therapy Bathroom Upgrade with Level Access Shower and Anti Slip FlooringThe outcome of the assessment may be that an adaptation is required to meet your needs. In this case, the occupational therapist or assistant will make a recommendation for the adaptation to be installed.

The process for arranging and funding the adaptation will vary depending on:

  • whether it is classed as being a minor or major adaptation
  • who owns the property

Minor adaptations

These are small adaptations that are inexpensive and easily completed. They include the installation of grab rails, external handrails, and banisters. 

Major adaptations

These are adaptations that may require altering the structure or fabric of the building. Depending on the work involved, it may require planning permission and / or a building warrant. They include shower installations, permanent ramps and step alterations.

An adaptation will only be recommended if you are assessed as needing it, not just that it is your preference.


top of page

Funding for adaptations

Council houses

The housing service will fund adaptations recommended by an occupational therapist.

Housing associations

Housing associations apply for grants from Scottish Homes to fund adaptations recommended by an occupational therapist.

Private houses

Aberdeenshire Care and Repair fund adaptations, supported by an occupational therapist, to privately owned homes or private tenants' homes. You need to be over 60 and/or have a disability to be eligible.


top of page

Information and advice

Our occupational therapy team can give information and advice on issues relating to your illness or disability.

This may include:

  • information about your particular disability or health problem
  • advice on other services that are available to you or your carer
  • advice on social and leisure activities and how to access them
  • advice on re-housing due to medical needs
  • advice or information on welfare benefits and help with claims
  • advice or information on support groups / charities
  • offering support in coming to terms with disability


Contact us

To make a referral, or for further information, please call us on:

03456 08 12 06

between 8 am and 5 pm Monday to Friday.


top of page

Referral to other agencies

Following your assessment we may decide your needs would be best met by another service.

Our occupational therapy team works closely with other social work, health and care staff. We can make contact with other professionals, services and agencies that may be able to offer you the support and help you need.

These may include:

  • GPs
  • district nurses
  • physiotherapists
  • home care supervisors
  • care managers
  • health visitors
  • day centres
  • community alarm
  • meals at home
  • voluntary organisations
  • mobility and rehab service (for wheelchairs)

top of page


Help us improve