Issues with our phones
We are having intermittent issues with our phone lines. We are working with our suppliers to resolve them. If you can't get through please hang up and re-dial. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Occupational Therapy equipment and adaptations
Our Occupational Therapy service aims to help people to be independent and well in their own homes for as long as possible. It may identify what equipment or adaptations are required to support your needs.
If you're affected by COVID-19, are having problems at home and need equipment or adaptations complete the self assessment form. Equipment will be delivered to you at home. This is a temporary service. The form is available in 2 versions:
- Self assessment form for equipment and adaptations (pdf 730KB)
- Self assessment form for equipment and adaptations (Word version 203KB)
If you have a long term condition, please complete the online self assessment.
The correct equipment can promote independence, encourage normal movement and prevent further deterioration.
There are many everyday items widely available from retailers, at a relatively small cost, which can make your life easier - such as electric can openers and large handled cutlery. We can give advice if you are thinking about making a purchase, but we don't provide them.
Our leaflet Equipment to help you do everyday things (pdf 211KB) has information about buying equipment for yourself and where from.
We also have a range of specialist equipment to help you, from small equipment to help with getting on and off the toilet, to larger equipment to help you get up and down stairs. We don't charge for this equipment.
Equipment is only provided if it is the best way to help you achieve the outcomes identified at your assessment. It is provided on loan for as long as you need. An outcome is an aim or objective you would like to achieve.
Self-directed support (SDS) gives you options on how any recommended equipment is provided. For example, you may get a direct payment so you can buy the equipment yourself. The equipment bought must be the right thing to help you achieve your assessed outcomes.
The Occupational Therapy service doesn't provide mobility equipment - such as walking sticks, walking frames and wheelchairs; or nursing equipment - such as commodes, urinals and incontinence pads.
Report faulty equipment or request pick up
If you have a fault with the equipment on loan to you, or you don't need it anymore, call us on 03456 08 12 06.
Adaptations are changes to your home to make it easier and safer to get around. These can be minor or major changes.
You can ask for some minor changes to your home to help you keep your independence without a formal Occupational Therapy assessment. If the adaptations are small, inexpensive and easily completed you can request them via self-assessment.
Our Self-assessment booklet of minor adaptations (pdf 770KB) includes illustrations and descriptions of items which may help. Once you have decided what minor adaptations you need, you can complete the the self-assessment form.
Alternatively you can request minor adaptation in paper by completing the self-assessment form (pdf 303KB). Please send it to the address on the form. You can also request a booklet and self-assessment form by calling 03456 08 12 06.
Major adaptations alter the structure or fabric of the building and may need planning permission, a building warrant or both. Some examples are: shower installations, permanent ramps and step alterations.
A major adaptation is only recommended if it is the best way to help you achieve the outcomes identified at your assessment.
How the adaptation is arranged varies. It depends on who owns your home and the type of alteration needed:
- Council tenants - changes to local authority properties are managed and paid for by the Housing Service, if recommended by an Occupational Therapist.
- Housing association tenants - changes to housing associations properties are managed by the housing association and paid for through an annual grant from Scottish Government, if recommended by an Occupational Therapist.
- Owner occupiers and private landlord tenants - changes to private housing are managed by Aberdeenshire Care and Repair and paid for through Disabled Adaptation Grant. You need to be over 60 or have a disability to be eligible. The minimum grant award is 80% of the cost of the eligible work. The remaining 20% is means tested.