Hearing loss services
Our sensory impairment services includes care and support for people who have hearing loss and their families.
The term "deaf" is used to describe those with a hearing loss, including:
- hard of hearing
- people who use British Sign Language
We have commissioned Deaf Action to provide information, advice and specialist equipment to deaf people. Their service includes:
- assessing and installing specialist equipment
- advising on hearing loss and how to cope
- information about services from other organisations
- drop in sessions in locations around Aberdeenshire
Deaf Action Inverurie Office
People are considered deafblind if they 'have a severe degree of combined visual and auditory impairment resulting in problems of communication, information and mobility' (Breaking Through Report 1989).
We have an agreement with Deafblind Scotland to provide a Guide Communicator Service. The Guide Communicator acts as the eyes and ears of the deafblind person so they can take part in activities otherwise closed to them.
The service aims to:
- promote independence
- provide stimulation
- encourage integration into the community
21 Alexandra Avenue