Hearing loss services

Our sensory impairment services include care and support for people who have hearing loss and their families.

The term "deaf" is used to describe those with a hearing loss, including:

  • hard of hearing
  • deafened
  • deafblind
  • people who use British Sign Language

Deaf Action

We have commissioned Deaf Action to provide information, advice and specialist equipment to deaf people. Their service includes:

  • assessing and installing specialist equipment
  • advising on hearing loss and how to cope
  • information about services from other organisations
  • drop in sessions in locations around Aberdeenshire

For more information about the support Deaf Action can give you or to make a referral, please contact call or text 07772 105 015 or email

Deafblind services

People are considered deafblind if they 'have a severe degree of combined visual and auditory impairment resulting in problems of communication, information and mobility' (Breaking Through Report 1989).

We have an agreement with Deafblind Scotland to provide a Guide Communicator Service. The Guide Communicator promotes and encourages independence for the deafblind person so you can take part in activities otherwise closed to you.

The service aims to:

  • promote independence
  • provide stimulation
  • encourage integration into the community

Referrals can be made by Health or Social Care staff, or you can refer yourself. For more information, please contact call or text 0141 777 6111 or email