Hearing loss services
Our sensory impairment services include care and support for people who have hearing loss and their families.
The term "deaf" is used to describe those with a hearing loss, including:
- hard of hearing
- people who use British Sign Language
We have commissioned Deaf Action to provide information, advice and specialist equipment to deaf people. Their service includes:
- assessing and installing specialist equipment
- advising on hearing loss and how to cope
- information about services from other organisations
- drop in sessions in locations around Aberdeenshire
People are considered deafblind if they 'have a severe degree of combined visual and auditory impairment resulting in problems of communication, information and mobility' (Breaking Through Report 1989).
We have an agreement with Deafblind Scotland to provide a Guide Communicator Service. The Guide Communicator promotes and encourages independence for the deafblind person so you can take part in activities otherwise closed to you.
The service aims to:
- promote independence
- provide stimulation
- encourage integration into the community