Visual Impairment

Our sensory impairment services include care and support for people who have a visual impairment.


We hold the register of people who are either sight impaired or severely sight impaired in Aberdeenshire.

If you are having problems with your sight, visit your local optician or GP for an initial check-up. If necessary, they will refer you to the Eye Outpatient Department where an Ophthalmologist will assess your vision. If you meet the criteria for certification and are aged over 16, they will complete a Certificate of Visual Impairment (CVI). It includes details of your eye examination as well as information about your circumstances.

With your permission, the Eye Outpatient Department will send your CVI form to the Visual Impairment Team. A member of the team will contact you to discuss your situation and discuss the benefits of registration with you if you have been certified.

Visual Impairment Team

The Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) Scotland work alongside our Rehabilitation Officers as part of our Visual Impairment Team. They provide information and guidance to people with a severe, permanent sight loss. They can also provide emotional and practical support to you, your family and your carers.

RNIB Scotland can help you manage the impact of your eye condition and maintain your independence. This includes those newly certified as sight impaired or severely sight impaired, as well as those who aren't certified.


Our Rehabilitation Officers provide a rehabilitation and mobility service to people with a significant sight loss and their carers.

Support may include:

  • assessment of abilities and barriers to independence
  • teaching techniques to help you manage everyday tasks, such as cooking, housework and personal care
  • providing equipment to help maintain independence
  • training you in independent travel skills
  • accessing information in alternative formats
  • access to talking books and newspapers
  • equipment and technology to help with reading and writing

We work in partnership with Health and Social Care teams, and with colleagues in Education, to provide an integrated service.

For more information about this service, please call the Visual Impairment Team on 01467 536700 or email Or you can contact your local social work office and ask for the Visual Impairment Team.

Privacy notices

Our privacy notices give more information about how we may use your data in providing our visual impairment service: