Waste and recycling service changes - 2019 to 2023 strategy

We are still putting too much recyclable waste into our black non-recyclable bins. Over half of what goes into a typical black bin could be recycled if sorted correctly. 

In 2020 Aberdeenshire’s recycling rate was 40.8%, slightly below the Scottish average of 42%. Around 70% of the waste we produce in Aberdeenshire is recyclable using the existing recycling services.

Waste strategy

The waste strategy 2019 to 2023 for Aberdeenshire was approved by councillors in January 2019. This is a 5 year strategy that aims to maximise reuse and recycling. In addition to providing more information to residents about what and how to recycle, the strategy also involves changes to the kerbside collection service and the recycling centres.

To develop the strategy, the council consulted the public through the Big Recycling Challenge survey and focus groups were run in February 2018 to get feedback on some of the proposals. A public consultation on the resulting draft waste strategy was carried out in September 2018.

Find out more information about the new strategy:

Graphic illustrating how much recyclable waste is put in a refuse bin, on average only 37% of the refuse bin content is non-recyclable waste and the remaining 63% could be recycled if sorted correctly

Kerbside collection changes

To maximise recycling, we are changing how often the bins are emptied, moving to a 3-weekly collection cycle. Find out more about the bin collection changes


Recycling centre changes

We are increasing the number of materials that can be recycled and providing more opportunities for reuse. Find out more about the recycling centre changes


Timeline of key service changes

Key dates for service changes:

  • 6th April 2019 - New seasonal garden waste recycling points start
  • 29th April 2019 - New opening hours at recycling centres (except Alford and Portlethen)
  • 3rd June 2019 - Asbestos and tyres no longer accepted for disposal
  • 24th June 2019 - Kerbside collection pilot starts in Mintlaw area (pdf 277KB) excluding Northwoods and Sutherland Drive
  • July and August 2019 - More staff employed at recycling centres to help households to recycle as much as possible
  • 10th September 2019 - Kerbside collection pilots start in Braemar area (pdf 162KB) and Cruden Bay area (pdf 340KB)
  • 14th July 2020 - Business waste drop-off service made available at waste transfer stations
  • 1st April 2021 – limits for commercial-type vehicles at recycling centres implemented (updated on 1st August 2021)
  • 2020 to 2022 - More reuse and recyclable materials collected at recycling centres
  • 2023 - Kerbside waste and recycling collection service moves to a 3-weekly cycle with the delivery of an additional 180L bin for recycling (households will be contacted by post before the new collection cycle starts)

Notification of changes

How we notify you of changes:

  • changes to services advertised in advance on the council’s website, social media, through local media and at recycling centres as appropriate
  • changes to kerbside services notified to households by post

To keep up to date with the latest developments, like the Recycling and Waste Aberdeenshire page on Facebook.