View updates on coronavirus (COVID-19) and council services. A postcode checker has been launched to make it easy to find out what the COVID protection level is where you live. If you are affected and need assistance, please visit Grampian Coronavirus (COVID-19) Assistance Hub.

Before you start building work

There are a number of things to take into consideration and do before you start your building work: 

Start of work notification

You are required to notify us when you start building work. You can do this online using the ebuilding standards portal, in paper by completing Form J - Notice regarding start of work and sending it to our correspondence address or by telephoning your local office

Health and Safety considerations

Before doing or having building work carried out you will need to consider your Health and Safety responsibilities.

The law says you must conduct your business without putting members of the public at risk. You must follow good Health and Safety practices such as providing protective works where necessary to prevent danger.

You can get advice from a building professional if you are unsure of these responsibilities. You can also find out more from the Health and Safety executive website

Choosing an approved certifier of construction

Make sure you use an approved certifier of construction if stated in your building warrant application. This will also be noted in your Construction Compliance Notification Plan (CCNP). Their details are recorded on the certification register on the Scottish Government Building Standards Division website

If you are using an approved certifier of design, you must notify us. You can do this online using the ebuilding standards portal or in paper by completing Form L - Notice of intention to use an approved certifier of construction and sending it to our correspondence address.