Scotland-wide free bus scheme (National Entitlement Card)

If you are over 60 or have a disability, you could be eligible for free bus travel to get around Scotland and your local area. The National Entitlement Card scheme also allows for free travel for companions where required by eligible disabled people of any age (including children under 5).

You can access this via the National Entitlement Card (NEC), your pass to free bus travel in Scotland:

How to apply

We won't be able to process applications made more than 2 weeks before the 60th birthday.

Apply online

You can apply online via the GETYOURNEC.SCOT website.

You will have to sign in to access the form. If you already have the myAberdeenshire account, you can sign in with your myAberdeeshire details

Apply on paper

To apply on paper, please complete the National Entitlement Card application form (pdf 166KB). You can request a copy of the form by contacting the NEC team or collect it from one of our offices accepting applications.

To complete your application you will need to provide supporting documents with the form.

Completed applications (with supporting documents) should be returned to use via email, where possible. If emailing is not possible and you can validate documents at our offices accepting applications, or send your application by post to our NEC office.

If you post your application to the NEC office, there might be a delay in processing it due to COVID-19 restrictions.

Supporting documentation

We will need you to provide the following with your application:

  • proof of person
  • proof or photograph
  • proof of residence
  • proof of your disability if you are disabled

For more information on acceptable proofs visit the NEC website, however please note proofs provided have to be original only if you are returning the application in person. If you are applying by post or email please send copies of the evidence.

Offices accepting applications

The following council offices accept and validate both disabled persons and over 60s applications (please check office opening times before making a trip):

Apply at a post office

You might be able to apply for a bus pass at a post office. Not all post offices offer this service so please check where the service is offered first.

The application form available at post offices is different than the council form. If you apply using the post office form (blue form), you can either validate the application there or email your application to us. The post office won’t be able to validate it if you apply using the council form.

Existing cards: renew, replace or update your details

You can manage your card online via the GETYOURNEC.SCOT website. The portal lets you request a renewal or replacement of your existing card and update your details.

You will have to sign in to access the portal. If you already have the myAberdeenshire account, you can sign in with your myAberdeeshire details

Alternatively, if you need to replace you card please contact us by phone or email, providing your name, date of birth, address details and reason for replacement.


National Entitlement Card Office
Maconochie Road
AB43 8TH 

Telephone: 03456 081208
Post: Freepost Access Aberdeenshire