Road excavation and occupation permits

Under the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984, it is an offence to carry out any works on a public road without the prior approval from us.

Although planning consent has been given, the appropriate permits are still required for construction of any access or layby required. Work must be carried out by a qualified contractor to complete the works to the council's specification. Find out more about our road construction standards.

You will need a permit if you undertake any of the following activities:

  • excavate in the road or pavement
  • deposit building materials or skips
  • erect scaffolding, access towers, hoarding, staging or place contractors plant
  • put up a tower crane
  • operate mobile cranes, hoists and cherry pickers

It should be noted that the terms 'roads' encompasses the carriageway, footway or verges of any road and includes public footpaths and cycle tracks.

Any work resulting in road closure will require early discussion with your local roads office as a temporary road traffic measure will have to be produced. Find out how to apply for a temporary road restriction.

For guidance and to apply for a road occupation permit download and fill in the appropriate form:

View road occupation permits privacy notices.