Road occupation permits

Under the Roads (Scotland) Act 1984, it is an offence to carry out any works on a road without the prior approval of the Roads Authority. This includes:

  • Excavations
  • Depositing building materials/skips
  • Erecting staging or scaffolding on or over any part of the road

It should be noted that the terms "roads" encompasses the carriageway, footway or verges of any road and includes public footpaths and cycle tracks.

If you are carrying out works, which may cause an obstruction then you will need to obtain the appropriate permits. Similarly any use of temporary traffic signals (traffic lights) requires prior approval.

Any works requiring the closure of a road will require early discussion with your local roads office as a temporary road traffic measure will have to be produced.

Road occupation permits

For guidance and to apply for a road occupation permit download and fill in the appropriate form:

View road occupation permits privacy notices.