Apply for a Building Warrant
A building warrant is the legal permission needed to start building works. Before you apply for a building warrant there are some things you need to know:
- Check if you need a building warrant
- What you need to provide
- How to apply online
- How to apply in paper
- What happens after
View building warrant application guidance to find out more about the process.
If you need a building warrant for simple domestic work with an estimated cost of less than £10,000 we can arrange a fast assessment of your proposal.
Building warrant is generally required to erect, alter, extend, convert or demolish a building. Find out if you need a building warrant as not all proposals require it.
It is an offence against the Building (Scotland) Act 2003 to start work without building warrant approval, where one is required. If you have inadvertently started before applying, you must declare this on the application form.
Whether your application is made online or in paper format we need you to include:
- Fully completed building warrant form submission (online or in paper format)
- Appropriate building warrant fee
- Drawings of the proposed design and construction
- Certification – if you are using Certifiers of Design as part of your submission, their certificates and details must accompany the application if you want to take advantage of the fee discount
You can apply for building warrant online using the national portal from the eDevelopment website. Appropriate forms and guidance are also available through the portal.
To submit the full application in paper format fill in our building warrant form (PDF 294 KB). You can email it to email@example.com or send it to our office at ePlanning Team, Aberdeenshire Council, Viewmount, Arduthie Road, Stonehaven, AB39 2DQ.
After you submit your building warrant application we will:
- Notify you once it has been registered
- Set an initial assessment within 20 working days or notify you if this is not possible (this is not the overall time to obtain a warrant)