Apply for a temporary traffic restriction
If you are planning work or an event that affects a road, you need to apply for permission.
Standard charges for temporary restrictions for 2023/2024:
- Temporary Notice, planned works up to 5 days: £461
- Temporary Order, planned works over 5 days but not more than 18 months: £826
- Extension to a temporary restriction (where permissible): £461
- Sporting or gala events: free
When to apply
Here is the minimum notice you need to give us when applying:
- Up to 5 days planned works, apply 2 weeks before the restriction starts
- Over 5 days planned works, apply 3 weeks before the restriction starts
- Planned works on a traffic sensitive route, apply 6 weeks before the restriction starts
- Sporting or gala events, apply 6 weeks before the restriction starts
How to apply
Please complete the restriction of traffic application form (PDF 224KB) and send your submission to the relevant local Roads office.
View the temporary restriction of traffic privacy notice (PDF 949KB) to find out what we do with your information.
What else you need to do
If you are granted a temporary road closure, you will still need to get any required road excavation or occupation permits.