Dropped kerbs

A dropped kerb allows vehicles to cross the pavement from the road to a driveway. You need to apply for permission to install a dropped kerb:

Before you apply

Before you apply for permission please check with your local Roads office if the adjacent road is classified or unclassified. If the road is classified you will need a formal planning permission.

If the adjacent road is unclassified then you don't need planning permission.

View application to lower the footpath for vehicular access privacy notice (PDF 94.5KB)

Application fee

When applying for and returning your application form, you will have to include the appropriate fee. For current charge refer to road markings section in the standard charges table. This is non-refundable and covers the initial inspection and assessment of the application.


Before you apply please be aware of the following conditions:

  • the crossing shall be made up of up to 3 dropped kerbs and 2 tapered kerbs
  • you must keep a 2-metre wide strip along the front of the site free of any permanent obstructions that are taller than 1 metre
  • the vehicle access shall be formed at your expense and the work must be done as per the council's road construction specifications
  • the access must be paved a 5-metre length area beyond the edge of the public road to stop loose material being carried onto the public road or footpath
  • if you are not the owner of the house, you will have to receive permission from the house owners before you apply
  • adequate provision must be made for internal surface water drainage to make sure that water does not run from the site onto the public road
  • all works within the limits of the public road must be carried out in accordance with the council's road construction specifications

How to apply

If you wish to apply for a new or an extension to an existing vehicular access, please complete application form to lower the footpath (PDF 149KB) and email your completed form to your local roads office:

What happens after

After your application has been approved a contractor will have to be appointed. You will receive a notification of intention to work when permission is granted for the vehicular access, you will have to complete and return the form to us.

Once a contractor has been appointed they will have to apply for a road opening permit (PDF 225KB) before work starts. This will allow our inspector to visit the site to make sure that the work is being carried out to the proper specification. The cost of this permit is currently £100 and the contractor should include this in their quote for you.

The person supervising the works on behalf of the contractor and at least one trained operative on site must hold a certificate of competence for the type of work being undertaken, as stated in the Road Works (Qualifications of Operatives and Supervisors) (Scotland) Regulations 2017.