Booking your visit to the household recycling centre
On 1st of June 2020 our recycling centres reopened by booking only. We introduced a booking system to maintaining social distancing, reduce the waiting times of visitors to each recycling centre and help manage traffic to avoid a dangerous build-up of cars on the roads. Thank you for your support and understanding as we work hard to keep the household recycling centres open while keeping everyone safe.
Have your say on the booking system
Help us improve the booking system by taking a few minutes to complete the recycling centre booking survey. The survey is open until 17th October 2021.
On this page you can find out more about booking a visit:
- Who can visit a recycling centre
- Before you book a visit
- New automated barriers
- Hire vans
- How to make a booking
- How to cancel a booking
- British Sign Language (BSL) version
Please do not visit a recycling centre if you or anyone in your household:
- Has tested positive for COVID-19
- Has COVID-19 symptoms
Here is what you need to know before you make a booking:
- Limits on commercial-type vehicle visits apply at all recycling centres, please view the limits before making a booking
- Vehicles can only come to a recycling centre when you have booked a slot - please arrive within your booked slot and make a booking for each visit
- Please check the site layout before your visit and pack the materials into your vehicle in the right order
- Maintain physical distancing whilst taking your materials into the correct containers.
- Wash your hands before and after your visit (and wear gloves if possible)
- Ensure any COVID-19 contaminated waste is left for 72 hours (3 days) before double-bagging and bringing to site
- Pedestrian access is available daily between 12.00pm and 12.30pm at the following centres: Alford, Fraserburgh, Huntly, Insch, Laurencekirk, Portsoy, Turriff and Westhill (no pre-booking is required); this is for those without a vehicle only - please do not park your vehicle outside the centre and walk in as this can cause spillages and issues for passing traffic
New automated barriers using cameras with automated number plate recognition system to check your booking are being commissioned at the recycling centres.
Please make sure you enter your vehicle registration correctly when you book to avoid any delays and remember to stop at the barrier when you arrive at the centre. When the barrier lifts do not stop until your vehicle and any trailer you are towing fully clears the barrier.
Site attendants will be available to resolve any issues.
Please make a booking for a van and type in ‘HIRE VAN’ instead of the registration number. Toot the horn at the gate if the barrier is not open. You need to show the hire documentation (not a lease) and matching ID to the site attendant.
To make a booking, you must:
- Be a resident of Aberdeenshire
- Bring household waste only – we do not accept trade waste at recycling centres
Slots are released daily 7 days in advance, so please keep on checking back if you don’t manage to get a slot initially.
For those who don't have access to internet, telephone booking can be made by calling the council’s Wasteline on 03456 081207.
Please note that booking confirmation emails can be significantly delayed at busy times, please wait a good while before contacting us.
If you need to change your car registration, or make any other changes, after making a booking, please cancel your booking (using the link in your conformation email) and rebook. We are unable to make any changes to the original booking for you.
Please ensure you select the correct vehicle type when booking to ensure we can allow enough space and time for you to unload your vehicle.
You will receive an e-mail confirmation with the details of your booking. The e-mail contains a link which allows you to cancel your booking, follow the instructions in the e-mail.
If you are a British Sign Language (BSL) user, please watch a video highlighting our arrangements for household recycling centres.